- 较少的,更少的 a smaller amount
- 较少,更少,少 smaller extent;not so much
- (comparative of `little' usually used with mass nouns) a quantifier meaning not as great in amount or degree;
"of less importance" "less time to spend with the family" "a shower uses less water" "less than three years old"
- (usually preceded by `no') lower in quality;
"no less than perfect"
- (nonstandard in some uses but often idiomatic with measure phrases) fewer;
"less than three weeks" "no less than 50 people attended" "in 25 words or less"
- used to form the comparative of some adjectives and adverbs;
"less interesting" "less expensive" "less quickly"
- comparative of little;
"she walks less than she should" "he works less these days"
- less butter较少的黄油
- less coffee较少的咖啡
- less food更少的食物
- less meat更少的肉
- less money更少的钱
- less noise少一点噪音
- less time较少的时间
- less work更少的活儿
- know less不知道
- rain less降雨量少
- read less读书少
- shout less少喊
- speak less少讲话
- work less工作得少
- less cold不冷
- less crowded不挤
- less important不重要
- less surprised不惊奇
- It would be good to have less pollution.如果污染更少的话就好了。
- He spends less time on work than on play.他在工作上花的时间比在玩上面花的时间更少。
- It is better to complete the task with less money.最好是用较少的钱就能完成任务。
- The flaw in this vase makes it less valuable.这个花瓶因为有点缺陷，不那么值钱了。
- Work more and dream less, you will be much happier.多做事少空想，这样你会愉快得多。
- Malaria is less common in Britain.疟疾在英国较少见。
- She found the job less and less attractive.她发觉那工作越来越缺乏吸引力。
- There is less to do in this job than the last.这份工作没有上份工作量大。
- It seems less of a threat than I'd expected.威胁性似乎比我预料的要小。
less是little的比较级,基本意思是“较少的,更少的”,指物体的体积或分量相对于别的物体少。 less多用来修饰不可数名词,但当名词前有数词或a few等修饰时,其后可接可数名词;在把时间、距离、金钱等短语看作是一个整体时, less可用来修饰可数名词;在有些短语中,说话人着眼于有关事物的大约的量,而不去细算精确的数额时, less可用来修饰可数名词;用在感叹句中, less后可接可数名词。 由no less than连接的两个成分,其强势总是落在前面一个。
less用作副词时的意思是“较少,更少,少”,可用来修饰动词、形容词或副词。 less有时用在某些形容词前并无比较的意思,只是为了避免使用不大文雅的词语而采用的委婉说法,且less一般不可用于形容词的比较级前。 much〔still〕 less短语多半用于否定结构,用于肯定结构时,则须改用much〔still〕 more。
误 She spent fewer time reading the text than I did.
正 She spent less time reading the text than I did.
析 fewer和less都表示“更少”的意思,但fewer只可以修饰可数名词,如修饰不可数名词则要用less。 他不到30岁,但已断送了自己。
误 He was less than thirty, but he was ruined.
正 He was under thirty, but he was ruined.
析 表示“不到多少岁”,英语习惯用under,而不用less than。
误 Of the two suits,I took the least expensive one.
正 Of the two suits,I took the less expensive one.
析 在两个人或事物之间只能使用比较级,而不能使用最高级。 今天比昨天冷。
误 It is less colder than it was yesterday.
正 It is less cold than it was yesterday.